How Should You Care For Your Teeth During The Holidays
During holidays, we do look forward to spending quality time with family and friends. Another meaning of a holiday is indulging in some of our favorite traditions and meals. The relationship between oral health and nutrition goes hand in hand. Diet and nutrition affect the health of the tissues inside our mouths.
A good rule of thumb is to avoid foods with added sugar. Food items containing added sugars lead to tooth decay.
Fast food items like sugar-coated baked goods, candies, and eggnog are my favorite holiday eatables.
Definitely, it is hard to avoid completely, but trying your best to consume them only in moderation helps.
Do’s And Don’ts Of Dental Health Care During Holidays :
- Include Teeth-Healthy Foods: Healthy teeth and gums require eating teeth-healthy food. Splurging over cookies during holiday activities will cause much damage. Make sure to incorporate food that is great for the teeth as well. Snack often on vegetables.
- Maintain Proper Hydration: Drinking water has many health benefits. It is great for skin and digestive health. Water is also great for teeth health. It can wash away fresh bacteria leading to cavities formation. Keeping a water bottle handy helps in keeping the teeth and gums healthier during the holidays.
- Maintaining The Toothbrushing Routine: Make sure to continue your dental care routine during the holidays without missing a step. Dedicate a few minutes to oral cavity hygiene after every meal. It can prevent multiple dental and gingival problems.
- Chewing Sugar-Free Gum: Sugar-free gum is a good alternative to protect oral health. It generates a greater flow of saliva in the mouth. It becomes easier for food debris to come off. A hydrated mouth helps to reduce the amount of biofilm.
- Go For Lighter-Coloured Beverages: Dark-coloured drinks like sodas, red wine, and juices can be intense tooth strainers. Avoiding them and opting for lighter ones helps the teeth stay whiter longer, especially during holidays.
- Oral Hygiene Travel Kit: During holidays, always carry a dental cleaning kit. It consists of a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, Mouthwash, and dental floss. Don’t leave any excuses for brushing your teeth after eating out.
- Caring For Your Toothbrush: Pay attention to the care of your toothbrush. Make sure it is well protected to prevent any contamination. The toothbrushes of the family members also should be kept separately to avoid cross-contamination. Don’t forget to change it every 2 or 3 months.
- Prioritize Dental Check-Ups: Make an appointment with a dentist just after the summer period. The best time to make an appointment with a dentist is just after the summer period along with the annual cleaning of teeth. Seek advice from your dentist on what steps you can take for proper dental care during the holiday break and keep the smile healthier and happier all time.
- Avoid Excess Of Candies : It is pretty common knowledge that excess sugar is bad for teeth health. Sugar eats away the enamel, which is the hard protective surface of the tooth. Weak enamel makes the teeth more susceptible to developing cavities.
- Do Not Use Your Teeth To Shell Nuts : Cracking nutshells with the teeth during holidays is a common mistake. If it goes wrong, it can crack the teeth leading to painful teeth and gums.
- Do Not Disregard Daily Oral Hygiene Routine : Brushing and flossing twice a day is critical for the health of teeth and gums. To take the best care of teeth over the holidays, maintaining oral hygiene must be the priority.
- Don’t Use Your Teeth As A Scissor To Open Presents : Much like using your teeth to open nutshells, using your teeth to open presents can be damaging. Avoid slicing ribbon or tape with your teeth as well.
- Avoid Alcohol And Tobacco Consumption: Alcohol and tobacco consumption during holidays is very common . It favours the development of halitosis which compromises the body’s natural defence system. Makes the teeth more vulnerable to any type of infection.
- Limit Consumption Of Cold Food And Beverages: Cold food and drinks are more appetising during the summer holidays. It can increase tooth sensitivity, causing multiple discomforts to teeth and gums.
- Avoid Sugary Drinks: Shun as much as possible sugary drinks or foods which is high in sugar content. Though in Summer we all have the urge of drinking juices, soft drinks, ice creams and sweets, the key is to limit the frequency. Also, brush your teeth afterwards to remove any sugar left over in your mouth.
- Avoid Hard And Boiled Sweets: biting on hard food items lead to chipped teeth. It can allow plaque to reach the nerve endings of the teeth causing discomfort and requiring treatment.
Park Dental Clinic, Dwarka Sec-7, Delhi is the best dental clinic in Dwarka having the best dentist, orthodontist, and implantologist.
Here, all the doctors carry the expertise in addressing all types of dental issues and providing comprehensive treatment.
We offer a wide range of orthodontic treatments, including metal braces, ceramic braces, and clear aligners with advanced technology.
A one-stop solution for all dental-related issues like Root Canals treatments, dental implants, and braces with the most economical and budget-friendly solutions.