Life With Braces : Tips And Tricks For Eating, Oral Hygiene And Managing Discomfort
Braces are orthodontic treatments that slowly straighten teeth and realign the jaw. Using a system of bands, wires, and brackets, they exert constant pressure on nearby teeth for an extended period of time.
It leads to the jaw slowly coming into the desired alignment. Through this process, braces help to achieve a perfect bite and smile
Need Of Bracing: problems like overbites, underbites, bad proportion of upper and lower jaw and maloccluded or crooked teeth can be treated with bracing
Types Of Braces: traditionally metal braces were the only way to realign the teeth.
Nowadays more options are available like ceramic brace, lingual brace and clear aligners’ braces.
The type of brace a person needs and the cost can be decided based on what the patient needs and how much they want to spend.
Tips And Tricks Of Eating With Braces
- Start with soft food items: Smashed foods like banana, mashed potatoes, yogurt, and scrambled eggs are all soft on the gums and risk of damaging the bracket and are less likely to cause discomfort
- Avoid biting food with front teeth: It can aggravate the pain and discomfort in gums
- Take smaller bite: It makes chewing and swallowing of food easier
- Eat from back teeth: They are more stronger and wider, they are better built for grinding food, can help alleviate the pain from front teeth
- Drink water in between the food: To soften the food and make swallowing easier. Drinking water helps wash away food particles that may get stuck in your braces.
- Chew slowly: Any hurry in eating can produce unwanted pain in gums
- Cut food into small pieces: Biting into foods directly can cause harm to tooth brackets, as well as shatter or pull them out.
Do’s And Don’ts Of Bracing
- Brushing teeth after every meal: It ensures no food particles should remain between the tooth gaps
- Do flossing every day: It ensures oral hygiene and cleanliness of teeth
- Always eat soft food: Chewing becomes easier
- Do not eat food items that are hard and sticky in nature: They have the
tendency to easily get stuck between teeth and brace
- Do not bite nails: Can affect newly placed hardware inside the mouth
- Avoid chewing on hard and inedible objects: To keep brackets and wire in good condition
- Avoid highly acidic food and beverages(lemons, limes, soft drinks, coffee)
- Wearing mouth guard during sports activities
Maintenance of Oral Hygiene
- Brace reduce the crookedness of teeth
- Reducing excess space between the teeth often results in better oral health.
- The realigned teeth are easier to clean as well as the gums
- Realignment Lessens risk of problems such as tooth decay, gingivitis or even tooth loss
- Brushing and flossing daily
- Using interdental toothbrush for better hygiene
- Avoid whitening agents , braces becomes darker because of acidic reaction
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet
- Carrying a cleaning kit while traveling , having cleaning option outside the home prevents tooth decay
- Visiting the dentist regularly to ensure success of the braces.
Please Note: Majority of the patients need to wear the braces for 1-3 years and it is imperative that good oral hygiene is maintained during this time
An Individual may feel general soreness in the mouth and teeth may be tender to biting pressures for three to five days.
- This can be relieved by rinsing mouth with a warm salt water mouthwash
- Dissolve one teaspoon full of salt in 8 ounces of warm water and rinse mouth strongly
- If the tenderness is severe, take prescribed medicine or any painkiller which is taken normally for headache or similar
- The mouth becomes sensitive for a week as they harden and become adjusted to the surface of the braces
- Orthodontics Wax can be applied on the braces and metal wires to lessen mouth and gum pain and discomfort
- In case of severe pain always contact your orthodontists
Smile More With A Dentist nearby
Park Dental Clinic, Dwarka Sec-7, Delhi is the best dental clinic in Dwarka who have the best dentist, orthodontists and implantologist having expertise in addressing all your dental issues and providing comprehensive treatment.
It’s a one stop solution for all your dental requirements like Root Canal, dental implants, braces with the most economical and pocket friendly solutions.